Signs are installed at a location to bring awareness to driving speeds or to enhance user safety. Warning signs can bring awareness to the presence of specific conditions such as a trail crossing, school zone, etc. Speed limit signs define the maximum enforceable speed of a given roadway. The speed limit is set based on geometric design and engineering and traffic surveys. A reduction to the speed limit would require an engineering and traffic survey and may need to be accompanied by changes in roadway geometry.
• Heighten awareness of roadway speed limit or specific conditions.
• Uses a standard traffic control device easily recognizable by motorists.
• Does not physically restrict vehicles from speeding.
• May become less effective over time.
• Can lose effectiveness if used too often.
• Cannot be used to reduce the existing speed limit without an engineering and traffic survey.
• Residential and Collector Streets
• Location where speeding occurs.
• Along roadway curvature.
• Roadways with high bike and pedestrian usage.
• Schools zone.