Business Licenses

Business License Applications

Doing business in Napa? Please email City staff and a Business License Tax Application (PDF) will be sent to you. If you have questions, please call the Finance Department at 707-257-9508. Once you have completed all sections of the application, return it to the Finance Department with the non-refundable application fee, which may be:

  • $147  for a business inside City
  • $14 for a business outside City
  • $40 for a Home Occupancy Business

State Law SB-1186

On September 19, 2012, Governor Brown signed Senate Bill 1186 (SB-1186) into law. SB 1186 is intended to increase disability access, encourage compliance with construction-related accessibility requirements, develop education resources for businesses, and facilitate compliance with Federal and State disability laws. From January 1, 2013, and until December 31, 2017, cities and counties were required to collect a State mandated fee of $1.00 from “any applicant for a local business license or equivalent instrument or permit, and from any applicant for the renewal of a business license or equivalent instrument or permit.” Assembly Bill 1379 was passed on October 11, 2017, which extends the assessment of the fee indefinitely and the State mandated fee from $1.00 to $4.00 from January 1, 2018 until December 31, 2023. The fees above include this $4.00 fee.
The City is required by law to inform you of the following: Under Federal and State law, compliance with disability access laws is a serious and significant responsibility that applies to all California building owners and tenants with buildings open to the public. You may obtain information about your legal obligations and how to comply with disability access laws at the following agencies:

Review Process

Your application will be subject to review and may be referred to Planning, Fire Prevention, Code Enforcement, Building and Police Departments. As part of the approval and clearance process, inspections may be conducted as necessary. Please allow 8 weeks for processing.

Special Permits

If your business falls under any one of the following categories, you will be required to obtain a special permit. Additional fees may apply. Call the Finance Department at 707-257-9508. to request specific forms.

  • Ice Cream/Food Vendor, Weapons Dealer, Fortune-telling/palm reading
  • Non-profit organization, Card Room Dealer, Vehicle for Hire
  • Solicitor/Canvasser/Peddler, Massage service
  • Food Establishment: If you have a food establishment operation, a permit from the County Health Officer will also be necessary. Please contact the Napa County Department of Environmental Management at 707-253-4471 for further details.
  • Hazardous Materials: If your business uses, stores, generates, transports, or handles any commodity that might be considered a hazardous material, call Fire Prevention at 707-257-9590 for assistance.
  • Home Occupations are subject to special regulations. Call the Community Development Department Planning Division at 707-257-9530 for assistance.
  • Weights and Measures: If your business uses a weighing or measuring device, a (PLU) price lookup system or scan gun system for retail sales, a permit from the Napa County Sealer of Weights and Measures will also be necessary. Call Weights and Measures at 707-944-8714 for assistance.

More Information

Licenses are issued for revenue purposes only.  It is not a permit to operate a business in violation of City, County, State and Federal laws. Need further assistance? Please refer to our frequently asked questions (FAQ) , or email staff.

Related Documents