Community Development Objectives & Goals
National Community Development Objectives
- Benefit low and moderate income persons
- In addition to low-and moderate-income individuals, there are groups of individuals that are generally presumed to meet this criteria such as: abused children, battered spouses, elderly persons, handicapped persons, homeless persons, illiterate persons, and migrant farm workers.
- Aid in the prevention or elimination of slums and blight
- Elimination of slums blight in a designated area or neighborhood. There must be a substantial number of deteriorated or deteriorating building or public improvements throughout the area.
- Elimination of slums or blight on a spot basis. Eligible activities must be designed to eliminate specific conditions of blight or physical decay on a spot basis not located in a slum or blighted area. The activity must be limited to: acquisition, clearance, relocation, historic preservation and rehabilitation of buildings.
- Meet community development needs having a particular urgency.
- An urgent need occurs when exiting conditions pose a serious and immediate threat to the health and welfare of the community. This category typically funds needed activities that result from floods, earthquakes, etc.
Note: Please contact staff as early as possible if you feel that you have a project that falls into this category. Additional specific eligibility requirements need to be met to qualify in this category.
Local Community Goals
- Ensure services to provide for basic human needs
- Prevention of and shelter for the homeless and battered.
- Food services.
- Health services.
- Services that enhance the safety and welfare of the community.
- Provide safe, decent and affordable housing
- Rehabilitate existing housing.
- Support the development of affordable housing.
- Establish safe and viable attractive neighborhoods
- Support public improvement projects in qualifying neighborhoods.
- Prevent and eliminate blighted and deteriorated areas.
- Support safe public facilities.
- Enhance resources for positive individual, family, and community growth
- Develop special projects/services for the elderly, handicapped and children.
- Develop recreation opportunities.
- Provide fair housing, counseling, information and mediation.
- Create employment opportunities and economic growth
- Support Economic Development Activities.