Amplified Music Permit

Issuing Amplified Music Permit in Napa

This permit is issued by the Police Department. Amplified Noise Permits are generally issued on a one-time basis for events which require the use of sound amplification equipment. The equipment may include a public address system or music amplification. The events are usually related to activity in residential areas for private parties. Permits can also be issued for gatherings such as speeches or political events where the participants wish to use microphones and speakers to address groups of people.

Several factors may be considered prior to the issuance of an amplified noise permit. Those factors may include the potential impact on the surrounding neighborhood, the history of disturbance complaints at the specified location and the number of attendees at the event. The ending time of the event will be limited to 9:30 p.m. in most cases. This limitation is necessary to protect the public safety and the correlative rights of the citizens of this community to privacy and freedom from public nuisance of loud and unnecessary noise.

It is important to note that the amplified noise permit does not protect the organizer of the event from possible law enforcement action if the music or amplified noise exceeds a reasonable level, or if citizens disturbed by the noise call the police department to complain.


Amplified noise permits will not be issued to businesses to hold events which would be in conflict with the conditions of that businesses use permit or other licensing restrictions.

Amplified Music Permit Request Form

View and complete the Amplified Music Permit Request Form (PDF). Fill in the required fields and print out the form with the required fields completed and mail it in or drop it off at:

Napa Police Department
1539 First Street
Napa, CA 94559
Attention: Lieutenant Chase Haag

You will be contacted by email or phone once the application has been reviewed.


As of November 1, 2014, there is an associated fee of $41 for the application, which is non-refundable regardless of approval or denial of permit. Napa Police Department Records will collect the fee at the time of application and they accept cash, credit card, or personal checks.