Carry Concealed Weapons Permit
The Napa Police Department's (NPD) online concealed carry weapon (CCW) license application portal for City of Napa residents is now open. To begin NPD's CCW application process through Permitium, please click here.
In order to qualify for a license to carry a firearm, the applicant must meet certain requirements including, but not limited to, the following:
- Applicants must first complete the California Department of Justice (CA DOJ) application to be signed under penalty of perjury. The applicant shall be required to submit to fingerprinting and a complete criminal background check by the CA DOJ.
- Be a resident of the City of Napa (Penal Code § 26150; Penal Code § 26155).
- Be at least 21 years of age (Penal Code § 29610).
- Fully complete an application that will include substantial personal information. Much of the information in the application may be subject to public access under the Public Records Act.
- Be free from criminal convictions that would disqualify the applicant from carrying a firearm.
- Be of good moral character (Penal Code § 26150; Penal Code § 26155). Legal judgments of good moral character can include consideration of any arrests in the past five (5) years, regardless of disposition; any convictions in the past seven (7) years; honesty, trustworthiness, diligence, reliability, respect for the law, integrity, candor, discretion, observance of fiduciary duty, respect for the rights of others, absence of hatred and racism, fiscal stability, profession-specific criteria such as pledging to honor the constitution and upholding the law; and the absence of criminal conviction. Investigators may personally interview applicants, ask applicants why they are interested in carrying their firearms in public, and use the opportunity to gain further insight into the applicant’s character. Investigators may search and use publicly available information, including social media accounts, in assessing the applicant’s character.
- Pay all associated application fees. These fees are set by statute and may not be refunded if the application is denied.
- Provide proof of ownership or registration of any firearm to be licensed.
- Be free from any psychological conditions that might make the applicant unsuitable for carrying a firearm (Penal Code § 26190).
- Complete required training (Penal Code § 26165).
To begin the CCW application process through Permitium, please click here. The online portal application packet contains information regarding rules and regulations for obtaining a CCW in the City of Napa. You must complete the online CCW application process prior to calling to schedule an interview. We do not accept drop off applications. The City of Napa Police Department can only accept and approve CCW applications for residents of the City of Napa. If you live outside the city limits of Napa, you must contact your law enforcement jurisdiction where you reside.
Appointments for a CCW interview can be made by contacting the CCW Sergeant at [email protected] or by phone at (707) 258-7885.
Potential applicants should remember that a CCW is NOT needed to carry a weapon in or on your own private property or in your business.