Food Vendor & Ice Cream Vendor Permit
Obtaining a Permit
The food vendor and ice cream vendor permit is issued by the Police Department following successful completion of the application process.
1) Applicant requests a food vendor permit application from City of Napa Collections. The application is available at the Collections window in the north wing of City Hall at 955 School Street, or click here to download for printing a packet including instructions and permit application documents.
2) Applicant should read the application and understand that their criminal history will be checked. This includes a Live Scan (Fingerprints). If the applicant falsifies the application in any way their permit will be denied. Any convictions must be stated.
3) Applicant must have a valid California Drivers License if they are driving a mobile vending truck.
4) If the applicant is pushing a cart valid ID is still necessary in order to complete a criminal background check. California ID Card is an acceptable form of ID. (For the list of valid ID see * below.)
5) Applicant should read and understand Napa Muni Code 5.40.010 –5.40.070which pertains to peddlers and solicitors, and NMC 10.36.180 which addresses peddlers and vendors parking.
6) Applicant must provide a certificate from Napa County Health Department stating their vehicle meets Health Department requirements. Please call 707-253-4471 for further assistance. (Applicant must obtain this before paying City fees).
7) If driving a motor vehicle as a food vendor, applicant must have a Certificate of Liability Insurance for $1,000,000.
8) Applicant must have current vehicle registration and insurance.
9) For the interview with the Napa Police Department, an applicant needs to bring a receipt showing all fees paid to the City of Napa, proof of insurance, proof of $1,000,000.00 liability insurance, vehicle registration, identification, Health Department Certificate.
10) Applicant must be interviewed and fingerprinted by Napa Police Department.
Scheduling an Appointment
Call Sergeant Andrew Hess at 707-258-7885 or email Andrew Hess to schedule an appointment. Permit will follow upon completion of background check.
* Valid ID is as follows; a State Driver's License or State Identification card is preferred. If the applicant does not possess one of those the following is accepted: US Birth Certificate or Passport, Federal Proof of Indian Blood Degree, INS American Indian Card, US Identification Card, US Military ID Card, Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship, Northern Mariana Card, Permanent Resident Card, Temporary Resident Card, Canadian passport, birth certificate, or border crossing card, Valid Foreign Passport with a valid Record of Arrival/Departure (Form I-94), Certificate from Ca Dept of Corrections or Youth Authority, Employment Authorization Card, Permanent Resident Re-entry Permit, Refugee Travel Document, Immigration Judge’s order granting asylum, Mexican border crossing card with valid I-94.