Please note: If you simply need to get an existing water service turned on and establish the account in your name, please call the Finance Department at 707-257-9508, Email the Finance Department, or visit the Finance windows at:
955 School Street
Napa, CA 94559
Procedures for establishing new connections to the City of Napa water system vary depending on site location and project size:
Inside City Limits
For an existing house, a vacant lot, or to separate services for a duplex or triplex, Email the Engineering Assistant, call 707-257-9521, or visit the Utilities Department at 1700 Second Street. You will be advised regarding service eligibility, water capacity fees, service pipe installation, meter sets, and scheduling. Prior to scheduling the hot-tap and service installation, you must pay all Required Water Service Fees (PDF).
Outside City Limits
Please note: Outside Water Service Application procedures are subject to City Charter Section 180, Policy Resolution No. 7, and Government Code 56133.
For most sites outside the City limits, you must pay a $617 filing fee and complete an Outside Water Service Application (PDF) to determine eligibility. If approved, you must complete the conditions of the application and pay all Required Water Service Fees (PDF) prior to installation. Call the Engineering Assistant at 707-257-9521, Email the Engineering Assistant, or visit the 1700 Second Street headquarters for more details.
These two areas do not require completion of an Outside Water Service Application:
- Congress Valley Water District - Leave a message at 707-256-0344 or Email the District’s Secretary to initiate the application process.
- Silverado Resort Area - Contact the Engineering Assistant as previously listed.
For subdivisions, hotels, or other large projects requiring new development of the water distribution system, call the Water Engineer at 707-257-9266, Email the Engineer, or visit the 1700 Second Street headquarters.
Standard Requirements/New Development
- All new services require installation of a backflow prevention device.
- Contractors should be familiar with the provisions and requirements contained in the Water Division Standard Specifications.
- Prior to occupancy, new development must meet its water demand mitigation (offset) requirements as specified by the Water Division.
- New development projects may be subject to High Performance Building Regulations and/or the Water Efficient Landscape Ordinance (WELO).
- Project sign-off requirements for the Water Division are listed and described on the Bluerod Form (PDF).
Construction Water/Hydrant Meters
If temporary water service is needed for construction purposes, complete a Temporary Hydrant Meter Application. After review of application a temporary hydrant meter permit may be issued.
Helpful Online Forms:
- Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) Pre-Application
Use this form to request water service information before submitting to the Building Division for an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) building permit.
- Fire Flow Request
Use this form to send a request for fire flow information. Please allow 1-2 weeks for response.
- Utility/Facility Map Request
Use this form to request utility information from the City of Napa.
- Water Service "Will Serve" Letter Request
Use this form to request "Will Serve" letters. This form should only be used for parcels inside Napa City Limits requesting water service from the City of Napa. Please allow 3-5 business days for a response.