New Development and Construction

Please note: If you simply need to get an existing water service turned on and establish the account in your name, please call the Finance Department at 707-257-9508, Email the Finance Department, or visit the Finance windows at:

City Hall
955 School Street
Napa, CA 94559

New Water Service Connection Procedures

Procedures for establishing new connections to the City of Napa water system vary depending on site location and project size:

Inside City Limits

For an existing house, a vacant lot, or to separate services for a duplex or triplex, Email the Utilities Development Team, call 707-257-9521, or visit the Utilities Department at 1700 Second Street. You will be advised regarding service eligibility, water capacity fees, service pipe installation, meter sets, and scheduling. Prior to scheduling the hot-tap and service installation, you must pay all Required Water Service Fees (PDF).

Outside City Limits

Please note: Outside Water Service Application procedures are subject to City Charter Section 180, Policy Resolution No. 7, and Government Code 56133.

For most sites outside the City limits, you must pay a $617 filing fee and complete an Outside Water Service Application (PDF) to determine eligibility. If approved, you must complete the conditions of the application and pay all Required Water Service Fees (PDF) prior to installation. Call the Engineering Assistant at 707-257-9521, Email the Engineering Assistant, or visit the 1700 Second Street headquarters for more details.

These two areas do not require completion of an Outside Water Service Application:

Large Development

For subdivisions, hotels, or other large projects requiring new development of the water distribution system, call the Water Engineer at 707-257-9266, Email the Engineer, or visit the 1700 Second Street headquarters.

Standard Requirements/New Development

Construction Water/Hydrant Meters

If temporary water service is needed for construction purposes, complete a Temporary Hydrant Meter Application.  After review of application a temporary hydrant meter permit may be issued. 

Helpful Online Forms: