Cash For Grass
Turf Replacement Rebate Program
The City of Napa offers water customers an incentive to replace their water-thirsty lawns with water-efficient landscaping. The program offers $1.00 per square foot to replace eligible lawn areas with:
- Low-water-use, climate-appropriate plants (covering at least 50% of converted area once fully grown), and
- Permeable hardscape (not exceeding 50% of converted area)
The program is open to all properties that are served by a City of Napa water account - residential, commercial, or institutional. The following per site maximum rebate amounts apply:
- $750 for Single-Family Residential (equivalent to 750 square feet of lawn removed)
- $2,500 for HOA/Multi-Family/Commercial/Institutional (equivalent to 2,500 square feet of lawn removed)
Customers may of course remove more turf area than is covered by the rebate program, but the per site maximum $ still applies.
If you are an interested customer, be sure to fully review the Cash For Grass Program Terms and Conditions (PDF). Customers must consent to brief Pre - and Post-Inspection site visits. Lawn areas to be converted must be historically maintained and irrigated. Brown lawns due to drought-related watering reductions will also be accepted. Dirt areas that show no signs of the presence of lawn, or lawns removed prior to City pre-inspection, are not eligible for the program.
NOTE: Artificial Turf installations are not eligible for the rebate as they do not meet the criteria for sustainable landscaping under State grant funding agreements. Artificial Turf for homes may be eligible for financing under the HERO Program.
Steps To Participate
- Call the Water Conservation Specialist at 707-257-9497 or Email Cash For Grass to schedule a brief Pre-Inspection visit to have the lawn area measured.
- Following Pre-Inspection, await receipt of your Notice to Proceed letter containing a pre-approved Cash For Grass Application (PDF) from the City. Do not remove lawn until you receive these documents.
- Remove the lawn area and install your project according to the program Terms and Conditions (PDF).
- Call the Water Conservation Specialist at 707-257-9497 or Email Cash For Grass to schedule a Post-Inspection visit. Post-Inspection must take place within 4 months of the Notice to Proceed.
- Provide at Post-Inspection your final completed Application and a list of plants and materials used in the conversion. Applicants due rebates of $600 or more must also complete IRS Form W-9. Rebate checks will be issued within 4 weeks.
Water-Wise Plant Resources
Want to get rid of that high-water-use lawn, but aren’t sure what to put in its place? The following resources can help:
- Garden Gallery in the Water-Wise Gardening in the Napa Valley web site
- Water-Wise Demonstration Gardens:
- Bay-Friendly Garden Month
- Sunset’s 7 Inspiring Lawn-Free Yards
- Water-Wise Plants in the Sunset Western Garden Collection
- Sunset Western Garden Book
- EBMUD’s Plants and Landscapes for Summer-Dry Climates
- Calscape: Search for plants native to your location
- WUCOLS: Plant species classified into very low, low, moderate, and high water use
- WaterWonk: Handy WUCOLS-based search tool
- Free Water-Wise Landscaping Workshops
- Free Home Composting Workshops
- Learn about the Sheet Mulch process and Lose Your Lawn the Bay-Friendly Way
- ...and remember the 8 Basic Principles of Water-Wise Landscaping
ALERT: To retain Cash For Grass rebate eligibility, do not install high-water-use plants in your converted landscape. Only very low (VL), low (L), or moderate (M) water-use species are acceptable. High-water-use plant species are those classified as high (H) in WUCOLS or those listed as needing "Regular Water" or "Ample Water" in the Sunset Western Garden Book.