New Outdoor Dining Permit Process
Outdoor Dining Permits – Public and Private Property
The City of Napa and partners have identified expanding outdoor dining into public and private spaces as a key initiative to support our community following COVID-19 temporary stay at home orders and physical distancing protocols. Napa has entered into the “Expanded Phase 2” of the State’s Reopening Plan, which allows for dine-in restaurant service indoors and outdoors. The potential to expand the size and capacity of outdoor dining areas has been a well-received and welcomed idea.
The information on this web page is intended to assist our customers in understanding the new Outdoor Dining Permit process that City staff is piloting in an effort to be highly responsive to outdoor dining proposals by streamlining the review process. We welcome feedback on the program, and the materials included on this web page, and anticipate modifying and adding information to this page in response to customer feedback.
Fee Update: Based on community feedback, the fee for Outdoor Dining Permits has been waived.
Streamlined Outdoor Dining Application Requirements
The purpose of the streamlined Outdoor Dining Permit process is to simplify application requirements and streamline the approval process. Important aspects of the Outdoor Dining Permit include:
- Allowing restaurants to replace lost seating due to physical distancing protocols
- Addressing design and site maintenance requirements to ensure that the expanded or new dining areas are an asset to the community and allow safe public access past the outdoor dining areas
- The streamlined permits will be approved with an expiration date of December 31, 2020 to provide an opportunity to assess the success of the dining areas and to make changes for the next season.
How to Submit an Outdoor Dining Permit Application
Currently, City offices are closed to the public. However, City staff are able to accept Outdoor Dining Permit applications and plans by email, and can begin review once we receive the signed, completed application form and fee payment.
To submit your application:
- Email plans and an electronic copy of the completed Application Form to [email protected].
- Mail an original, signed copy of the Application Form and check to the City of Napa Community Development Department, Attn: Planning, 1600 First Street, Napa, CA 94559.
- If you would like to make special arrangement to hand off the form and check in lieu of mailing it, contact Planning Manager Erin Morris ([email protected]).
Outdoor Dining Technical Considerations and Resources
Technical Assistance for Outdoor Dining Areas
The Public Works Department is available to help restaurants assess the physical parameters for outdoor dining expansion focused on ensuring that new or expanded outdoor dining areas meet Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) spacing requirements and generally meet the City’s established guidelines. Restaurants are encouraged to contact the City by email ([email protected]) for more information about this service.
The best place to send general questions is the City of Napa’s Outdoor Dining shared email address ([email protected]). We are monitoring this email regularly and we will direct your inquiry to the correct staff contact.
For Planning questions, please contact Planning Manager Erin Morris ([email protected]).
For Public Works questions, please contact Public Works Engineering Development Services Manager Tim Wood ([email protected])
For Fire Prevention questions, please contact Fire Marshal Greg Fortune ([email protected])