Parks Use, Rules and Regulations
Parks Use, Rules & Regulations
Alcohol, Smoking, Glass Containers, Amplified Music, Camping, and Fires, Grills or BBQs are not allowed. Dogs must remain on leash except for designated off-leash areas.
To ensure that parks, open spaces and trails are preserved for all to enjoy, use of these areas are regulated through section 12.36 of the Napa Municipal Code. Some of the key regulations are:
- Dogs in City parks and trails - Chapter 6.04.170 and 12.36.190 states that dogs are allowed in any park or on any trail as long as the dog is controlled on a leash not to exceed six feet in length. Section 6.04.170 sets forth certain exceptions to this requirement, and specifically authorizes the City Council to designate off-leash areas within parks by resolution. Areas at Alston, Shurtleff and undeveloped areas of Kennedy Park are the only off-leash parks. Dogs are also prohibited in any playground or tot lot.
- Alcohol - Alcohol is only allowed at Kennedy Park in designated picnic sites by special permit. Permits may be only granted to individuals that reserve a designated picnic site.
- Jump Houses - Jump houses and inflatable structures of any type are prohibited in all City parks and recreation areas due to safety. Exceptions are only made for large special events and through a permit and approval process.
- Amplified Music – A permit is required for any person wanting to have amplified music in a City park. Applications will need to be made 30 days in advance and will take into account the location, number of people and how it will affect other users and neighboring property owners. Strict time and sound level restrictions will be enforced. The Department will only approve permits that meet this criterion and in designated parks.
- Barbecues - Fires are prohibited in all parks. Barbecue grills for food preparation are available for use in designated areas and are the only exception. Signs are posted in parks with designated barbecue areas. You can refer to the park locator link that indicates which parks have designated barbecue areas. Barbecues at the Formal Gardens and the Kennedy Park pavilions will only work when reserved, otherwise they will be locked and inaccessible for use.
- Skateboards or Skates – Skateboards, roller skates, blades and inline skates are only allowed in specific parks or areas maintained specifically for this use. Persons are also required to wear the appropriate protective padding and helmets. Areas that allow skateboarding are indicated in the parks locator.
- Bicycles - Bicycles are allowed on designated trails throughout the park system. Napa Valley Car Free offers countywide cycling opportunities. For more information contact the Parks and Recreation Services Department at 707-257-9529. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The office is closed on weekends and major holidays.
- Events- Any event utilizing public parks, streets and/or facilities with one or more of the following items requires a special event permit:
- Total event attendance with more than 250 people
- Use or closures of any public street, sidewalks or public right away
- Amplified sound
- Selling food, alcohol or merchandise
- Selling tickets
- Advertising an event open to the public on public property
- Requiring stages, tents, barricades, fences or other items
Find Municipal Code Section 12.36 Governing Park Rules and Regulations HERE