When should I call the police?

Homelessness describes the condition of people without a regular dwelling and is not a criminal activity. However, when you see someone doing something illegal, you should call the police. Panhandling is not illegal, but if the panhandler is aggressive and you feel threatened, call 9-1-1 and move away from the subject. You should always call 9-1-1 if you need emergency assistance from police or fire or there is a medical emergency or an immediate threat to public safety. Additionally, the Napa Police Department will take action for theft, public consumption of alcohol, trespassing, or other disruptive behavior. These offenses are typically classified as misdemeanors.

Show All Answers

1. What is the City of Napa doing about homelessness?
2. How do we do this?
3. Who is responsible for dealing with homeless?
4. Why are there so many homeless people in the City now?
5. When should I call the police?
6. What if someone is endangering another person or appears to be in immediate danger or suffering a mental health crisis (seems very disoriented, is screaming, is destroying things)?
7. What if someone is harassing people walking by or obstructing entrance to a storefront?
8. What if I am concerned about a homeless encampment?
9. What is the best way to help the homeless?
10. What if someone is in need of clothing or shoes?
11. What if someone is hungry and asking for food or in need of a meal?
12. What if someone is homeless and in need of housing?
13. What if someone needs resources to stay in their current housing (security deposit, furniture, car repair funds, etc.)?
14. What if someone needs non-emergency medical attention?
15. What if someone is in need of mental health support?
16. What if someone is living on the street or in an encampment and needs general help?
17. What if a homeless person in not in the City of Napa, but elsewhere in Napa County?
18. What if a homeless person is a minor?
19. Who do I call if I see a someone being abused?
20. What success have we seen in Napa?