How do I establish water service?

To transfer an existing water account to your name, call the Finance Department at 707-257-9508 or visit the Finance windows at City Hall, 955 School Street, 8:30am to 5pm. Pay the service deposit as required.

To pursue installation of a new water connection at your site, contact Water Engineering staff at 707-257-9521, or visit the Utilities Department, 1700 Second Street, Suite 100, 8am to 5pm Monday through Thursday. Staff will advise you regarding service eligibility, capacity fees, service pipe installation, meter sets, and scheduling.

For questions regarding new development of the water distribution system (e.g., subdivisions), contact the Water Engineer at 707-257-9266.

Show All Answers

1. Where does Napa's water come from?
2. Who is served by the City of Napa Water System?
3. What are the major components of the Water System?
4. How much water is used by City of Napa customers?
5. How do I establish water service?
6. How much does the water cost?
7. How can I pay my bill?
8. When do you read my meter? Can I read the meter myself?
9. Why do I need a backflow prevention device?
10. Will PG&E planned power outages affect my water service?
11. How do I report a leak?
12. If I have a leak, who is responsible for repairing it?
13. How do I get my water turned off so I can make repairs to my plumbing or irrigation?
14. How do I report a water quality concern?
15. Why does my water look dirty, have an odd color, or have particles in it?
16. Why does my water have a strange taste or odor?
17. Does the City add fluoride to the drinking water?
18. What is the water hardness?