Tuesday July 29, 2014
The Napa Police Department was awarded a $75,000 Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) State Grant for a project to reduce future crimes involving alcohol and alcohol licensees.
The project will involve a variety of enforcement and education activities. The first focus area will be identifying and educating business premises with licensee violations within the City of Napa, focusing on the downtown area; the second focus area will be reducing the opportunity for minors to obtain alcohol; the third focus area will be enforcement during special events in the city of Napa that have large crowds with many alcohol related issues including fights, drunkenness and violations of ABC related laws.
Strategies that the Police Department will use to accomplish the goals of the grant include:
• Hosting two Licensee Education on Alcohol and Drugs (LEAD) classes for ABC licensees and business owners within the City and County of Napa. Dates to be announced.
• Conducting Minor Decoy Operations.
• Conducting Shoulder Tap Operations.
• Conducting briefing trainings to all patrol officers about ABC laws and regulations and the Napa Police Department protocol for responding to Juvenile Parties.
• Partnering with the Friday Night Live Program to complete IMPACT Inspections with the assistance of ABC personnel with the top ten premises identified as not in compliance with ABC and City of Napa laws and rules, are close to schools and are known as premises where youth can purchase alcoholic beverages.