UPDATED Monday, Sept 15, 2014

Structural Assessment & List of Approved Engineers

Structural Engineer List

Structural Engineers Association of California - Press Release

Structures that have experienced major damage and are deemed unsafe to enter based on the initial assessment will receive a red tag.  In buildings where there are potential safety concerns that could be remedied by clean-up (e.g. broken windows and debris), a yellow tag will be issued allowing restricted access.  The focus of the resources will be to identify the safety concerns.

If you have concerns for the safety of your building and have not received a red tag or yellow tag or the damage is not obvious from the outside, please call 707-258-7829.  

Here is what to do if your property has been yellow tagged:

-  A yellow tag means “cautionary.”

-  Residents may continue to live in their homes.  Commercial properties may be accessed for clean-up and repair of the buildings.  Once the work is complete, the City should be contacted on the hotline at 707-258-7829 for a re-inspection so that the yellow tag can be removed.  Commercial buildings may not be opened to the public until the yellow tag is removed.

If your building has been red tagged:

- A red tag means the building structure has been damaged and is not safe to enter.  Please do not enter your building.

- You must hire a qualified, licensed engineer to inspect the property and prepare a written assessment.  The City has posted a list of qualified engineers from the region on its website at www.cityofnapa.org, or you may already have one to work with.

- Submit the assessment report to the City’s Building Department through email to the Chief Building Official at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or he may be contacted at 707-257-9540.

- If the report indicates the building is safe to access and occupy, the City will release the red tag and issue a yellow tag, and then you must follow the steps described above for a yellow tag.

- If the report indicates the building is not safe to access and occupy, the report will include recommendations for structural modifications.  The Chief Building Official will work with the owner on the best course of action.