Doing business in Napa? Please e-mail City staff at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  and a Business License Tax Application will be sent to you, or download application here. If you have questions, please call the Finance Department at 707-257-9508.

Once you have completed all sections of the application, return it to the Finance Department with the non-refundable application fee:

  • $127.00  for a business inside City
  • $11.00 for a business outside City
  • $35.50 for a Home Occupancy Business

On September 19, 2012 Governor Brown signed into law SB-1186 which adds a state fee of $1.00 on any applicant for local business license or similar instrument or permit, or renewal thereof. The purpose is to increase disability access and compliance with  construction-related accessibility requirements and to develop educational resources for businesses in order to facilitate compliance with federal and state disability laws, as specified. The additional fee is effective January 1, 2013 through December 31, 2018. The application fees above include this $1.00 fee. SB-1186 also requires the following disclosure:

Under federal and state law, compliance with disability access laws is a serious and significant responsibility that applies to all California building owners and tenants with buildings open to the public. You may obtain information about your legal obligations and how to comply with disability access laws at the following agencies:

Your application will be subject to review and may be referred to Planning, Fire Prevention, Code Enforcement, Building and Police Departments.  As part of the approval and clearance process, inspections may be conducted as necessary.  Please allow 8 weeks for processing.

If your business falls under any one of the following categories, you will be required to obtain a special permit.  Additional fees may apply.  Call the Finance Department at 707-257-9508. to request specific forms.

  • Ice Cream/Food Vendor; Weapons Dealer; Fortune-telling/palm reading;
  • Non-profit organization; Card Room Dealer; Vehicle for Hire;
  • Solicitor/Canvasser/Peddler; Massage service
  • Food Establishment: If you have a food establishment operation, a permit from the County Health Officer will also be necessary. Please contact the Napa County Department of Environmental Management located at 1195 Third Street, Room 101, Napa, CA 94559 or call (707) 253-4471 for further details.
  • Hazardous Materials:  If your business uses, stores, generates, transports, or handles any commodity that might be considered a hazardous material, call Fire Prevention at 707-257-9590 for assistance.
  • Home Occupations are subject to special regulations. Call the Community Development Department Planning Division at 707-257-9530 for assistance.
  • Weights and Measures: If your business uses a weighing or measuring device, a (PLU) price lookup system or scan gun system for retail sales, a permit from the Napa County Sealer of Weights and Measures will also be necessary.  Call Weights and Measures at (707) 944-8714 for assistance.

Contractor/SubContractor - One job business license:

For Contractors/Subcontractors with a valid State Contractor’s License whose business is located outside of city, the City of Napa offers a One Job License. These licenses are approved and issued once the application and monies are received. Each license is specific to the job address and expires once work is completed.

Contractor/SubContractor Form

Licenses are issued for revenue purposes only.  It is not a permit to operate a business in violation of City, County, State and Federal laws.

New in 2008:  Zoning clearance from the Community Development Department Planning Division is required for Vacation Rentals, Beauty Shops and Restaurants.

Need further assistance?  Please refer to our frequently asked questions (FAQ) , or e-mail staff at  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Business License Apportionment Questionnaire & Calculation Sheet 

Business Tax Apportionment Rules and Regulations


Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT)

If you are a Hotel, Motel, Resort, Bed & Breakfast, Non-Hosted Vacation Rental, Hosted Vacation Rental or similar business please review the following information:

Transient Occupancy Tax Manual

Transient Occupancy Tax Return

Transient Occupancy Tax Exemption Request

Common Guest Fees Subject to TOT

Napa Municipal Code 3.20 Transient Occupancy