The Fleet Management Division is an Internal Service Fund (ISF) which supports the vehicle and mobile equipment needs of all City departments and divisions. The Division operates solely on the revenues derived from rental charges to City departments and divisions that use the vehicles and equipment. Centralization of the fleet under a single support division allows all equipment users to benefit from the availability of pooled equipment, effective preventive maintenance and professional management of the fleet.
The Division provides maintenance and repair service for fire apparatus but does not own or manage that equipment. Charges to users of fleet equipment are based on maintenance operational costs, overhead costs, insurance cost, plus an amount to provide for the programmed replacement of the assets managed by the Division. It administers the budget and oversees the general operations of the City Corporation yard. It also provides project management services for such projects as the recently completed Comprehensive Corporation Yard Master Plan.
To provide operating departments with safe, available, properly designed and maintained vehicles and mobile equipment at the lowest commensurate cost.
Selected Service Level Objectives
- Maintain the fleet at a level of 97% or better, serviceable availability, to the end user through effective programs of preventive maintenance and cost effective replacement
- Continue to add new categories of equipment to the formalized preventive maintenance program
- Improve the on-time performance of preventive maintenance inspections to a level of 95% or better based on a scheduling parameter of 10 days or less.
- Continue to maintain shop productivity and operating cost at levels that compete ' favorably with the private section
- Utilize new data base resources to develop better analytical tools for cost-effective vehicle replacement optimization.
- Replace fleet vehicles at the most cost-effective point in their life cycles and lower overall equipment cost per unit of work accomplished over the service life of the vehicle