The original bridge was 155 feet long and 60 feet wide. It was built in 1914-15 and in its day was considered a "state of the art" construction, using reinforced concrete. The bridge was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.

During design of the Napa River Flood Protection Project, this bridge was identified as a blockage to flood water flows. It also suffered from age-related deterioration. After studies determined it was not feasible to rehabilitate or relocate the bridge, the City of Napa chose to replace it in support of the Flood Project.

The new bridge is 166 feet-10 inches long and 64 feet wide, and will accommodate a traffic lane, bicycle lane, vehicle barrier and sidewalk in each direction. To convey the needed amount of water for Flood Project specifications, the new bridge is about five feet higher than the existing bridge. The design by Engineer TY Lin International and Architect Donald MacDonald includes “state of the art” elements such as illuminated glass panels and lighted obelisk columns.

wbrview1.jpg

This page was updated Aug 12, 2009.