Tuesday March 10, 2009

According to the nonprofit Home Safety Council, poisonings are the second leading cause of home-injury related death. Many American families are not taking steps to reduce their risk, nor are they properly prepared if a poison exposure happens at home.

During Poison Prevention Month in March, the Home Safety Council is teaming up with the Napa Fire Department to encourage parents to take proper steps to reduce the risk of poisoning exposures, including carefully reading warning labels, safely storing potentially dangerous items and posting the National Poison Control Hotline number (1-800-222-1222) next to every phone at home. Children under the age of five have the highest rate of nonfatal poison exposures at home compared to any other age group. Common household items, from medications and cleaners to automotive fluids and pesticides, can present serious risks. However, Home Safety Council research shows that more than 80 percent of homes with young children report leaving medicines in unsecured locations and more than 50 percent report leaving dangerous household chemicals in unsecured locations.

According to a recent survey conducted by the Home Safety Council, more than 70 percent of American parents do not have the National Poison Control Hotline posted next to every phone in their home. Every Poison Control Center in the country can be reached by calling the American Association of Poison Control Centers’ (AAPCC) nationwide hotline, 1-800-222-1222. Post the hotline, along with other emergency numbers, near every phone. Use the hotline to call immediately in the event of a possible poisoning. The hotline also provides local poison control information.

For more information on how to prevent poison dangers at home, call Patrick Young at the City of Napa Fire Department at 707-257-9590 or visit or www.1-800-222-1222.info.