- Community Development
- Building Division
- Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
What types of payments does the Building Department accept?
- We accept checks made out to the City of Napa, credit cards (no AMEX) with no processing fee or exact change for cash
Do I need a contractors license to pull a building permit?
- Unless you, as the property owner, are doing the work yourself, you must hold an 'active' contractor's license with the State of California. The City can easily verify on the California Department of Consumer Affairs Contractors State License Board's website as to whether an individual or company has a California Contractor's License and if that license is 'active' or 'expired'.
Does the contractor doing the work need a City of Napa business license?
- Yes. all contractors and sub-contractors for any construction work in the City of Napa are required to have an active City of Napa business license. You can apply online through the Finance Department by going to their page. City of Napa Business Licenses
How long does it take to review my plans?
- The typical turn-around time on plan check review is up to 21 business days for the first review, and up to 14 business days for any secondary reviews (aka resubmittals).
How much are my building permit fees?
- Permit fees vary depending on the type of project (i.e. electrical, roofing, new construction, etc.). Some projects have flat rate fees, while other projects are based on square footage. Check out the Master Fee Schedule to get an idea about costs.
Can I receive a refund of my building plan check or building permit fees if I cancel or withdraw the project?
- Refunds are regulated by the California Building Code (CBC) which reads: "Under Section 107.6, CBC, the building official may authorize refunding of not more than 80 percent of the plan review fee paid when an application is withdrawn or canceled before any plan reviewing is done. The building official may authorize refunding of not more than 80 percent of the permit fee paid when no work has been done under the permit. There shall be no refunding of any fee paid except on written application filed by the original permittee not later than 180 days after the date of fee payment."
I've applied for a building permit, submitted my plans and paid my plan check fees. Will I have to pay any additional fees?
- Yes. When your plans have been checked for compliance with all appropriate building codes and regulations as well as additional departments (as applies to the project) then additional fees will be due, depending on the type and scope of the project. You must also obtain all necessary clearances before your permit can be issued. This could include Napa Sanitation, Environmental Health or the Napa Valley Unified School District as examples.
Will I receive a phone call from the building inspector before my inspection?
- No City inspectors do not have City issued phones and are unable to tell you when they are coming for an inspection. The windows for inspections are 8-12pm for AM and 12-3pm for PM
How does the building inspector know when to come to my project for the required inspections?
- You need to schedule the inspection which can be done online via eTRAKiT, using the automated system 707-257-1063 or calling us at 707-257-9540 to ask one of the Permit Technicians to assist.
My building permit has been issued. I was given the permit, a job card and a set of plans. What do I do now?
- You can now begin construction. Your approved plans, job card and any other documents you received must be posted/available on the job site in an easily visible location. The job card will be used by the inspector to record the progress on the required inspections. The set of plans will be used to verify that all construction is in compliance with the approved plans. The job card and plan must be kept on-site and available for the inspector's use.
Building DivisionPhysical Address
1600 First Street
Napa, CA 94559
1600 First Street Napa CA 94559
Inspection LinePhone: 707-257-1063 (Automated)
Permit TechsGeneral Email
Vincent CaballeroBuilding Inspector
Terri RitchiePermit Technician
Taylor ToblerBuilding Inspector
Jason WilliamsChief Building Official
Trevor SlevinBuilding Plans Examiner
Stephen DudlaBuilding Inspector
Jackson WilloughbyBuilding Inspector