Rules & Regulations

Rental Assistance Program Rules & Regulations

The Family Must

  • Supply any information that HUD or our office determines to be necessary to establish your continued eligibility. This includes information for use in a regularly scheduled reexamination or interim reexamination of family income and composition. All of the information that you provide must be true and complete.
  • Disclose and verify social security numbers and sign release forms to verify your information.
  • Supply any information requested by our office to verify that you are living in the unit or information related to your absence from the unit.
  • Obtain written approval from our office when you are going to be away from the unit for an extended period of time.
  • Allow our office to inspect your rental at reasonable times and after reasonable notice.
  • Notify our office and the property manager or owner in writing before moving out of the unit or terminating the lease.
  • Use the assisted unit for residence by your family only. The unit must be your only residence.
  • Promptly notify our office in writing of the birth, adoption, or court awarded custody of a child.
  • Request and obtain our written approval to add any other family member as an occupant of the unit.
  • Promptly notify our office in writing when a family member moves out of your unit.
  • Give our office a copy of any eviction notice provided by the property manager or owner.
  • Pay utility bills and supply appliances that the property manager or owner is not required to supply under the lease. Maintain your unit in a clean and sanitary manner.

The Family (Including Each Family Member) Must Not

  • Own or have any interest in the unit (other than in a cooperative, or the property manager or owner of a manufactured home leasing a manufactured home space).
  • Commit any serious or repeated violations of the lease.
  • Commit fraud, bribery or any other corrupt or criminal act in connection with the program.
  • Participate in illegal drug or violent criminal activity.
  • Sublease or let the unit or assign the lease or transfer the unit.
  • Receive Section 8 tenant-based program housing assistance while receiving another housing subsidy for the same unit or a different unit under any other Federal, State or local housing assistance program.
  • Damage the unit or premises (other than damage from ordinary wear and tear) or permit any guest to damage the unit or premises.
  • Receive Section 8 tenant-based program housing assistance while residing in a unit owned by a parent, child, grandparent, grandchild, sister or brother of any member of the family, unless the HA has determined (and has notified the owner and the family of such determination) that approving rental of the unit, notwithstanding such relationship, would provide reasonable accommodation for a family member who is a person with disabilities.
  • Engage in any illegal use of a controlled substance; or abuse alcohol that threatens the health and safety or right to peaceful enjoyment of the premises by other residents.

For more information on Federal Regulations, contact Housing and Urban Development.