The Human Resources Department is the starting point for employment as a classified employee in the City of Napa. All classified positions are filled through competitive processes as provided for in the City’s Civil Service Rules. The Human Resources Department administers the recruitment, application, testing and eligibility list processes pursuant to these Rules.
Application & Selection Process
Here are some important points to know about the application and selection process:
- Experience and educational requirements vary by job classification, and the application and testing procedures also vary by job classification;
- Candidates may file applications for employment in conjunction with any open recruitment; City employees may file applications in conjunction with open and/or promotional recruitment as outlined in the Civil Service Rules;
- All applications received by the filing deadlines are carefully reviewed, and those candidates with applications which document qualifications that most closely meet the requirements for the job classification are invited to participate in the selection process;
- The selection process may include a variety of elements depending on the requirements of the job. The process may include an application appraisal, a written test to assess job-related knowledge, a performance test to measure skill and ability to perform job duties, and/or an oral assessment interview;
- Candidates who successfully complete all elements of the selection process are placed on an eligibility list based on their score(s) in the various elements, and are referred to operating departments throughout the City as vacancies occur in the designated job classification. This means the individuals on an eligibility list for a job classification may have multiple opportunities for consideration for employment by participating in a single application and selection process!
- Candidates for the positions of Police Officer, Police Officer Trainee, Firefighter, Firefighter/Paramedic and a variety of other positions are required to complete and submit a Personal History Statement in conjunction with the employment background process. Review the Personal History Statement (PDF).
To attract and retain qualified employees, the City of Napa offers a competitive salary and benefits package for full-time, regular employees. The City’s dedicated employees enjoy a working environment which offers personal and professional growth, and which is positive, professional and friendly.
The City of Napa will make reasonable efforts in the selection process to accommodate qualified disabled applicants. To request an accommodation, candidates should contact the Human Resources Department. You can send an email to the Human Resources Department, or call the City TDD line at 707-257-9506.
The City of Napa is an Equal Opportunity Employer.