Its primary function is to guide private development in accordance with State law and the City’s adopted development programs. Major tasks include the implementation and administration of land use and development policies and regulations; assisting residents, developers, and real estate professionals with land use questions and procedures; and conducting development-related environmental review. The Planning Division is comprised of two sections: Advance Planning and Development Review.
Planning Division Core Services
Advance Planning Section
- Completing State-mandated annual housing reports
- Developing and updating the General Plan, specific plans, the Historic Preservation Ordinance, the Sign Ordinance, and the Zoning Ordinance
- Maintaining census and demographic data
- Maintaining development and approval databases
- Providing, in collaboration with decision-makers and the community, legally adequate plans and regulations
Development Review Section
- Conducting CEQA-related environmental evaluations
- Implementing the City’s cultural heritage work program
- Processing development applications
- Responding to public inquiries regarding development and the City’s review processes
- Reviewing business licenses and building permits
- Coordinating with outside agencies such as the Association of Bay Area Governments, County of Napa, Napa Sanitation District, and Napa Valley Transportation Authority
- Providing liaison support to the Planning Commission, Cultural Heritage Commission, and Public Art Steering Committee.