Public Art

Programmatic Overview

The City of Napa supports the placement of public art in the community through a variety of different programs created to contribute to a more livable and visually stimulating environment. Public art first appeared in Napa in the 1970s, when the Napa Community Redevelopment Agency commissioned five sculptures that were placed in the downtown to enhance its image and encourage people to walk and shop in the area.

A number of murals were also painted or installed on buildings primarily in the downtown. Most of these murals were funded and installed by community organizations such as the Napa Chamber of Commerce. Additionally, private businesses and property owners began installing public art on their own properties. Many of these artworks are separate from the City's Public Art Collection.

4th of July 1907 mural