Street sweeping services for the City of Napa are provided by Contract Sweeping Services, Inc. For customer service concerns or questions related to routes and scheduling, please call Contract Sweeping Services at 707-257-9650 or 408-228-4564.
Residential and commercial streets are swept once monthly from February through September and twice monthly from October through January. Routes and schedules are available on the Citywide Sweeper Route Map.
Sweeping of each route occurs on the same day of a particular week each month; for example, the second Monday or the fourth Friday. Typical hours of operation are from 4:30 to 9 a.m. in commercial areas and from 6:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in residential areas. This schedule was established so that sweeping occurs on a simplified, regular, and predictable basis for residents and businesses.
Please make a note of your scheduled sweep day and accommodate the service by moving parked cars from the street. Portions of streets missed due to parked cars cannot be practically or efficiently re-swept until the next scheduled sweep date.
There will be no street sweeping on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day. Streets that are scheduled on these holidays will be slept the following weekday. In order to maintain a consistent schedule, sweeping will occur on all other holidays.
During our heavy leaf months of October through January, sweeping frequency is increased from once monthly to twice monthly, with the second sweep of each month occurring two weeks before or after the normally scheduled day. For example, streets that are normally swept on the first week of each month are swept on the first and third weeks.
Streets that are normally swept on the fourth week of each month are swept on the second and fourth weeks. Additionally, non-routine call-out sweeps may be provided in areas of heavy leaf fall at the discretion of Public Works staff.
Leaves & Yard Trimmings
To prevent flooding and protect our waterways, please do not sweep or blow leaves or yard trimmings into the street or gutter. Street sweepers are not effective at collecting sticks, branches, or large piles of leaves. Napa Municipal Code sections 12.16.020 and 8.36.050 prohibit depositing green waste onto streets and sidewalks. Leaves and yard trimmings should be placed directly into brown compost carts to avoid contamination of the compost feedstock stream.
Options for Extra Leaves
- Create a backyard home compost pile! UC Master Gardeners of Napa County are an excellent resource for home composting. They hold regular workshops and offer demonstrations to community groups.
- Consider Grasscycling. Leave your grass clippings on your lawn after mowing. The grass clippings will decompose quickly and release valuable nutrients back into the soil. Grasscycling is the way golf courses keep their grass green year round. Use a Mulching Mower to create mulch for your grass.
- Napa Recycling and Waste Services (NRWS) offers extra services to residents that may help:
- Two free extra yard trimmings pickups:
- City of Napa residents may schedule two extra yard trimmings pickups per year on your normal service day. Stop by our City of Napa Office (592 Lincoln Aveunue; Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. - Noon & 1 to 4 p.m.) to pick up one box of compostable bags for your extra leaves. Please call ahead to 707-255-5200 to notify Napa Recycling & Waste Services of the additional pick up.
- Additional Carts:
- City of Napa residential households may obtain up to two recycling and up to two compost carts, free of charge. Additional carts are available for a small charge. Call Napa Recycling & Waste Services for more information.