Have you driven through our new roundabouts yet? Wondering how best to navigate these new roadways? Well, be #SLY, Napa! What does that mean? In short, SLOW DOWN, LOOK, YIELD – and you will be on your way to a safe trip through the roundabouts. Stay tuned here on on our website– we will soon post informational videos on how our roundabouts will work!
In the meantime, here’s a little more detail on how to navigate the roundabouts:
- SLOW DOWN as you approach the roundabout and watch for pedestrians and cyclists in the crosswalks.
- Continue toward the roundabout and LOOK to your left as you near the yield sign and yield limit line at the entrance to the roundabout.
- YIELD to traffic already in the roundabout.
- Once you see a gap in traffic and it is safe to proceed, enter the circle (in a counter-clockwise direction) and proceed to your exit. If there is no traffic in the roundabout, you may enter without yielding.
- Look for pedestrians and cyclists in crosswalks as you prepare to exit, use your turn signal before you exit, and make sure to stay in your lane as you navigate the roundabout.
- Proceed and exit the roundabout.
As a reminder, the definition of “YIELD” from the California Driver Handbook says:
“A 3-sided red YIELD sign indicates that you must slow down and be ready to stop, if necessary, to let any vehicle, bicyclist, or pedestrian pass before you proceed.”
Here’s a quick video that illustrates how our roundabouts will flow once all three are open and working together: