The criteria for creating districts must comply with State law (see Elections Code Section 21621), and generally include:
- Equal population of residents in each district (based on census)
- Geographic contiguity, compactness, & integrity (consider natural or man-made barriers – river, creeks, busy streets)
- Local community of interest: common social or economic interests:
- Examples include shopping, schools, home ownership, unemployment, median income
- Cannot consider political parties, incumbents, or candidates.
- Boundaries easily identifiable and understandable to residents.