What else do I need to do to start my business?

If you conduct business using a name other than your legal name (DBA), you are using a fictitious business name. Contact Napa County Recorder's Office for more information. If you sell tangible property, you are required to obtain a Seller's Permit from the State Board of Equalization (BOE) for the purpose of collecting and reporting sales tax to the State of California. View additional information on sales and use tax.

If you have employees and withhold State Income Tax, Disability and Unemployment insurance, contact the State Employment Development Department (EDD) to obtain a State Employer ID number. If you intend to have employees or to obtain a Form 540 for estimating State Withholding Tax for yourself, contact the Franchise Tax Board (FTB). If you plan to sell or serve alcoholic beverages, contact the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board (ABC).

Depending on the type of business being conducted, please consult the Department of Consumer Affairs. Many professions, including Building Contractors, need to obtain California State Licenses. Contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for a federal employer ID number, a businessman's kit, seminars for new businesses, additional information and forms. If your business uses a weighing or measuring device, a (PLU) price lookup system or scan gun system for retail sales, a permit from the Napa County Sealer of Weights and Measures will also be necessary. Call Weights and Measures at 707-944-8714 for assistance.

Show All Answers

1. Do I need a license to conduct business in Napa and why?
2. Where do I get information about business tax requirements?
3. Who is taxed?
4. What information is needed to obtain a business license?
5. How is the tax calculated?
6. How is the application reviewed and processed?
7. Can I do business while my license is in process?
8. How can I obtain a copy of a current business license?
9. How can I obtain a copy of a prior year's business license?
10. What else do I need to do to start my business?